Ano Koufonisi, normally referred simply as Koufonisi, is the principle attraction within the Little Cyclades in Greece. There’s additionally one other Koufonisi, Kato Koufonisi close by. The entire Small Cyclades are sometimes referred as Koufonisia.
Should you’re serious about visiting Koufonisi, right here’s what to anticipate.
Highlights, sights and issues to do on Koufonisi
- Sea caves: on Pano Koufonissi’s North Cape.
- Saint Nicholas’ small church: over Karnagio with a view to 9 islands!
- Mylos (Mill): A conventional windmill that has been renovated into an attractive bar.
- Seashores: There are a few seashores on Koufonisi. The very best are within the south-east. The wind largely is available in from the north and in addition the ocean tends to be considerably rougher to the north. – Charakopou – Fanos – Parianos – Pisina – Platia Punta – Pori (generally a nudist affair)
Festivals on Koufonisi
- Saint Goerge’s church: the protector of the island. On Saint George’s day (usually celebrated on twenty third April, but when it coincides with Lent then it’s celebrated on Easter Monday), there’s a litany/procession of his icon on the seaside avenue, whereas the streets are lined with rose petals. They placed on fireworks and all of the small boats of the island are crusing alongside. Tripe soup with vinegar and a stew or pasta is obtainable to everybody after which the feast begins.
- Panagia’s (Virgin Mary’s) church on Kato Koufonissi: located on Deti’s pier and constructed on historical ruins. On August fifteenth an enormous competition takes place there. On the finish of the Mass, meals is obtainable to everybody after which individuals are transferred by boats that are competing within the race to get to Pano Koufonissi first, the place the feast is held.
- Fishermen feast: on June twenty fourth the captains of the caiques prepare dinner for everyone on the pier the standard cacavia (boulliabaisse-a soup made with various kinds of fish). A feast follows with conventional music and dance.
Getting round and to Koufonisi, Greece
It’s not definitely worth the problem to convey your individual automobile to the Koufonisi island, though it’s in concept doable.
A large street takes you from the port to Finikas’ seashore and the tenting website. From the village there’s an asphalt street that takes you to Pori, and one other one which takes you to the petrol station and the helicopter airport. Different roads develop into little greater than filth paths. The gasoline station has opened in 2005.
Renting a motorcycle
Motorbikes and mopeds are well-liked options to vehicles. Particularly mopeds are ceaselessly utilized by native youths and might go to many locations that vehicles can not go. An instance are the twisted slim streets of Koufonisi metropolis.
Should you begin a day-trip with a moped, be sure you have a full tank, as gasoline stations are generally arduous to seek out. An additional cease at a gasoline station can save lots of nerves.
When renting a moped, examine if the profile of the tyres is okay and if the brakes work correctly. If it’s the final automobile in retailer, be suspicious – it could possibly be the one which wants a restore badly. Although helmets usually are not required on the streets, it may be a good suggestion to ask your rent-a-bike for one.
Kostas Prasinos’ small boat runs an everyday day by day service from the port to the seashores of: Finikas, Italida and Pori.
Different small boats join Pano (Higher) and Kato (Decrease) Koufonissi. Koufonisi is accessible through ferry from Naxos, and Athens.
All ferry and excessive velocity ferry corporations: schedules, connections, availability and costs, between Koufonisia, different Greek islands & Piraeus port (Athens) are right here: www.ferries.gr/reserving
Typically cruise ships dock on the Port.
Lodging in Koufonisi
Seek for locations to remain in Koufonisi under:
On the lookout for extra Greek islands to discover? Try these posts: